Today, it is hard to share links to sections of wiki pages. Sections on a page don’t have their own links, except for in the Table of Content at the top of the page. If the page is long, the reader has to scroll all the way to the top to pinpoint the link to the section they want to share.
This task aims to make it easier for wiki readers to share links to sections of wiki pages, both "external" links (direct URL to the section) and "internal" links (wikitext for internal links).
The implementation looks like this:
Things to watch for
- Accessibility: the section section share link is being read aloud by screen readers when navigating the page by headings.
- Internationalization: the section share link should work for both left-to-right and right-to-left reading.
- Literal headings (<h2> etc.) should not have clickable section link anchors (T91271).
Possible blockers or subtasks
- (From previous task description) Clickable section anchors ("§" next to page headers) were implemented and briefly deployed in March 2015. However, the specific way that clickable section anchors were added caused issues, discussed below, and the feature has been reverted and un-deployed.
- Currently the only way to obtain a link to a section on wikis is to go to top-of-page Table of Content, find the section you want, right click on it, and copy the link. This is a very manual process and the reader must break their reading experience to do this.