- Update "Definition of 'done'"
This task includes the work involved with refreshing the mobile VisualEditor editing toolbar. It is a part of our team's broader effort to increase the likelihood contributors will have success making quick edits on-the-go.
We know from our research, contributors' success making quick edits on-the-go, using the mobile VisualEditor, depends – in part – on their ability to identify the right editing tools at the right moment and their ability to navigate along the edit "path."
Trouble is, mobile VisualEditor's existing editing toolbar (where these editing tools live), can make it difficult for contributors to:
- Find the tools they need to make an edit/change
- Understand where they are in the course of their edit(s)
- Recover from a mistake and advance towards edit completion
We intend to address these issues by "refreshing" (read: redesigning) the existing toolbar to meet the criteria below.
- Core editing tools  are "easy" for contributors to identify
- It is clear for contributors to know where they are in the course of their edit(s)
- It is clear to contributors how to go "forwards" and "backwards" (read: it is clear how to recover from a mistake; it is clear what to do to publish their edit(s))
- Platform: Mobile VE
- Languages: All
- Target users: Josef the Reactive Corrector (minus the geographic specificity of the persona)
- Eventlogging: TBD
- QA Testing: TBD
Definition of "done"
- Write design brief T218177
- Research mobile keyboard behaviors and events on iOS and Android and identify IME behaviors that will need additional design treatment T211788
- Wireframe the entire flow of brainstorm sketch T211786
- Develop a working toolbar prototype by making edits to the toolbar code and bringing the desktop context menus to mobile T211789
- Design a Test for prototype T211787
- Perform test on prototype T211790
- Core editing tools: Adding/modifying links, adding/modifying citations, formatting text