As a logged out user, I want the option to edit without creating a permanent account AND without my IP address displaying publicly, because I value privacy and don't care to create an account.
As a temporary account holder, I want to understand that I am already logged into a temporary account and what a temporary account is, because then I can edit with confidence.
As a logged in account holder or a "logged out visitor**, I want to clearly differentiate and understand temporary accounts from permanent accounts.
IP Masking will affect lots of our products, features, tools, gadgets, etc. This task is for tracking work to update those that are owned by Growth-Team, ahead of IP Masking being enabled on WMF sites.
Project documentation: IP Editing: Privacy Enhancement and Abuse Mitigation
What is IP Masking and why is the Wikimedia Foundation masking IPs?
IP masking hides the IP addresses of unregistered editors on Wikimedia projects, fully or partially, from everyone except those who need access to fight spam, vandalism, harassment and disinformation.
With changes to privacy laws and standards (e.g., the General Data Protection Regulation and the global conversation about privacy that it started), the Wikimedia Foundation Legal team has decided to protect user privacy by hiding IPs from the general public. However, we will continue to give access to users who need to see them in order to protect the wikis.
Scope of this Epic:
All of the work needed for the MVP release of IP Masking that relates to features or workflows owned or maintained by the Growth-Team.
- Welcome Survey
- Help Panel
- Newcomer homepage
- Suggested edits
- Mentor dashboard
- Community Configuration
Other Growth maintained features / projects
- StructuredDiscussions (analyzed; handled in T342831: IP Masking: Update StructuredDiscussions (Flow))
- PageTriage: This will be owned by Moderator Tools: T339252: Investigate impact of IP Masking on PageTriage
Other extensions passively maintained by Growth
- MW-extensions-Nuke: IP masking work to be owned by Moderator-Tools-Team: T340631: Does Nuke need substantial feature changes to retain current functionality with IP Masking?
- MW-Recent-changes (split to T343322: IP Masking: Update Recent changes filters user registration filters for IP Masking)
- MW-extensions-GuidedTour (no changes required)
- MW-extensions-NewUserActions (not Wikimedia-deployed or Growth-maintained)
- MW-extensions-NewUserNotif (not Wikimedia-deployed or Growth-maintained)
- MW-Extensions-ORES (no changes required)