On mobile there is no clear way to find Section Translation. Although users may discover the tool by following a link to it or accepting an invite, they may have no clue on how to find the tool again. This ticket proposes to expand the menu options available on mobile to provide access to an area where new contributions (including translations can be made):
- A "contribute" option will replace the current "Contributions" option, using the "pencil" icon and leading to a new tab on the Contributions page.
- Subtitle. The menu option will have a sub-title listing some of the ways to contribute in order to anticipate to users what they will find after selecting the option. This message (in the future) can be customized based on the user to show the most relevant options for them.
- The Contributions page will be updated to incorporate a tab selector providing access to two views: (a) "Create" will list options to start a new contribution, (b) "View contributions" will list the user contributions in the same they are shown now. The new view on the Contributions page will be only visible on the own user's contributions page (not when viewing someone else page).
- Options to contribute. The initial options provided will be the same shown at the Contributions page on desktop by Content Translation (example) with the addition of "suggested edits". This will evolve in the future as more options are available.
- Default view. The view to create a new contribution should be the default when reaching the page from the "Contribute" option. However, when reaching the page from the user page (where there is an option to access the user contributions) the list of existing contributions will be shown by default.
The proposed idea is illustrated in this prototype and in the mockups below:
|Navigation menu with the new option||Contributions page (new contributions)||Contributions page (list of contributions)|
This approach is intended to increase visibility to translation in a scalable way (more contribution options can be incorporated in the future).
Navigation menu with the new option
"Contribute" option will be replace the existing "Contributions" one, using the pencil icon and the same text style as other options in the menu. Additional description text will be shown below the option. The description will use a smaller font (13px) in regular weight (not bold) and the same color.
Translations, suggested edits…
- The subtitle will be limited to one line of text using ellipsis to cut the sentence before it wraps.
Contributions page update
The Contributions page will be extended for the current user in order to incorporate a new view to start contributing. A tab selector will support switching to the list of contributions (which will be represented in the same way they are now).
Another small change proposed is to align the user name to the left (right on RTL languages) for a cleaner layout.
The whole cards are tappable, providing access to a page where a type of contribution can be made:
- "Translations" links to Special:ContentTranslation in the current wiki. It uses the "language" icon.
- "Suggested edits" will link to the newcomer homepage . It uses the "lightbulb" icon.
- "Upload media" links to the Upload Wizard on Commons. It uses the "upload" icon.
- "New page" links to Special:WantedPages in the current wiki. It uses the "article" icon.
Layout and styling details are described below:
Translate one section or a whole article. Make more contents available in more languages.
[Start a translation]
Make small and easy changes (e.g., add a link or copyedit) to improve existing articles.
[View suggested edits]
Share educational images, videos, and other media files with a free license.
[Upload a file]
Start a new article for a topic that has been requested.
[View missing pages]
Based on input from Language team engineers, it makes sense to support this in two parts:
- The general entry point would be part of Mobile Frontend. This will provide the navigation menu option, reorganize the Contributions page in two tabs and provide some initial list of general options to start a contribution that can be expanded.
- Extensions such as Content Translation will provide options to contribute by extending the previous list.
The changes described above (even when organized in two parts: general and translation-specific) will be deployed only to the wikis where Section Translation is available. In this way we make sure that users start experiencing the new entry point with a complete list of options (including the option to translate on mobile) and we learn gradually about the change in a limited context (i.e., not exposing a limited lit everywhere). this will require a configuration variable.
Currently Section Translation is available is Bengali Wikipedia, but soon the list may get expanded to more wikis (T285842).
Guidance captured in a separate ticket (T287569) will help users find the persistent entry point after they discovered the tool with another entry point. This will help in situations where the user gets an opportunistic invite (e.g., an article missing in a language) and is not sure how to get back to the tool.