The next target for WMF production after PHP 7.4, is PHP 8.1. This task is the logical equivalent of T271736: Migrate WMF production from PHP 7.2 to PHP 7.4 and will incorporate:
- Making CI passing and enforced ("voting") for MediaWiki core on PHP 8.0 and PHP 8.1.
- Making CI passing wmf-deployed MediaWiki extensions on PHP 8.0 and PHP 8.1.
- Provision PHP 8.1 in production via puppet and docker (including any ports or changes needed for php extension packages such as php-apcu, php-luasandbox, php-excimer, etc.)
- Configure MW with ICU emulation for PHP 8.1 that matches PHP 7.4 (see also: T263437: Allow easier ICU transitions in MediaWiki (change how sortkey collation is managed in the categorylinks table), T292552: Rename articles and users to update our case mapping to PHP 7.4 and Unicode 11).
- Benchmarks for different workloads and different clusters.
- WikimediaDebug option?
- Client-side ramup via WikimediaEvents cookie.
- Per-cluster rampup:
- App servers
- N% of all cookie-based traffic to Appservers and API appservers
- Job runners
- API appservers
- Snapshot hosts ("dumps")
- Deployment hosts
- Maintenance hosts
- Wikitech host